Pol Pot Journals

ប៉ុលពត កម្ពុជា ប្រជាធិបតេយ្យ

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

In the US, the First Amendment protects books on Pol Pot

I may take a trip to Kampuchea next spring break, both because it will help me understand what I’m writing in my book and the fact that I am interested in Khmer culture.
As for the book I’m writing about Pol Pot, The Pol Pot Journals, it is not the usual “making of a nightmare” style book, which has been over done, neither does it glorify Pol. Ever since my first Pol Pot history site was closed due to complaints, which I believe came mostly from American citizens, I’ve decided the time is right to write on a man who many people find interesting, even if they don’t like the large numbers of people who died during his reign.
All the complaints I got were from Americans who went to Cambodia (I’m sure on a guided tour sanctioned by the government) and they felt they could tell me I have insulted the entire population in Kampuchea. I know that isn’t true because the man still has admirers in his own country. And since when can an American speak for all the people in Kampuchea? I would have taken the complaints more seriously if they did not come from some sanctimonious arrogant Americans.Even if I wrote a book endorsing Pol Pot, we have a free speech amendment in the US and I have every right to say what I want.


Frank Zappa has stated the obvious. If the first amendment document does not protect words, then we live under fascism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home